St Nicholas Montessori School follows the Montessori Method of education, which assists each child to attain his/her individual potential. The philosophy is based on respect for each other and the environment and the individuality of the child. The Montessori classroom is a prepared environment, which is child-centred and fosters the intellectual, physical, social, emotional and spiritual development of the child. The Montessori materials are precise and initiate activity. The child has freedom within limits in the classroom and learns through experience and experimentation. The teacher is an important part of the Montessori environment and has undergone professional training and evaluation. St. Nicholas Montessori School is a multi-denominational school with a Christian ethos.
The objectives of the school are:
- To create an atmosphere in the school which promotes respect, appreciation and consideration for everyone. To prepare a secure, supportive environment which will assist the individual development of each child.
- To present the materials in an interesting way in order to stimulate the interest of the child and generate a love for learning.
- To ensure that each child reaches his/her full potential through the teacher’s close observation of the individual needs of each member of the class and the provision of stimulating learning experiences to extend the child’s knowledge and facilitate the development of the imagination.
- To provide opportunities for creativity, research and experimentation in order to prepare the child for further education and life-long learning.
- To foster the development of the child’s self-confidence, self-esteem and self-reliance. To promote the child self-control through respect and consideration for each other and the classroom materials, and to encourage the child to accept the limits of life in a community and experience the fulfilment of interaction with his/her peers. To assist the child appreciation and sense of responsibility for the natural world and all forms of life through example, discussion and projects.
- To promote a sense of justice, tolerance and consideration for others and to help the child realise the importance of personal integrity.
- To help the child realise the importance of hygiene and a healthy life-style.
- In conjunction with the home, to provide the child with the best possible foundation for life and do all in our power to ensure that the child becomes a happy, secure and confident member of the community equipped to contribute to the good of society.
St Nicholas Montessori School is part of the Office of the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs free Pre-School Year in Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE). We are also members of the Association of Independent Junior Schools (AIJS). The 3-6 classes are accredited by the Irish Montessori Education Board.